Gutter Cleaning / Leaf Raking – Time for Autumn Projects
It’s almost time to think about the home maintenance projects that happen every fall, with the falling of the leaves and preparing your home for the winter months. Is gutter cleaning on your list?
Aside from raking and clearing leaves that fall on the ground and onto your roof, gutter cleaning is another dreaded, and potentially dangerous home maintenance project. Gutters get clogged with leaves and other debris as trees shed. After the summer months, it’s a good idea to check and clear our your gutters so that during the colder months of rain, ice and snowy weather, they will function properly to keep your house dry.
Homeowners typically tidy up gutters once or twice in the fall and again in the spring. Here are five tips to help you keep rain gutters clean:
- Wear work gloves and perhaps goggles to protect against dirty water and debris. Make sure pants are fitted so that you don’t trip on the hems as you climb the ladder
- Ask a family member or friend to hold the ladder and serve as your spotter while you clean
- If there are too many leaves, twigs, etc., in the gutter to easily grab using your gloves, consider purchasing a gutter scoop, typically available at hardware stores, to help you reach the debris
- After you remove all the debris, rinse your gutter with water from a garden hose for a final cleaning
- Consider installing a gutter guard or cover to help reduce how many leaves, twigs and other items get trapped
Cleaning Gutters is Important
Maintain your rain gutters to help protect your roof from damage, and you could reduce your risk this fall of needing to file a homeowners insurance claim. At Waxhaw Insurance Agency, we’re always here for you if you have a claim, but our goal is to help you avoid the dangerous or damaging situations that lead to accidents, home damage, and claims. Call us any time for advice or questions. We’ll make sure your property is sufficiently covered just in case something needs to be replaced, rebuilt, or repaired. We always tell homeowners that proper and regular home maintenance are the best way to avoid a claim.
Leaves / Waxhaw Residents
Another note about fall cleanup in your yard: the Town of Waxhaw offers a leaf vacuuming program for residents inside of town limits. Check the town’s website for updates on when they will come to your neighborhood. The town will be divided into two zones for service. Areas north of the railroad tracks are typically vacuumed on Mondays and Tuesdays each week during a certain period of time as residents clear leaves from their yards. Areas south of the railroad tracks will be serviced on Wednesdays and Thursdays. In order to have your leaves vacuumed, they must be raked to the edge of the street. The Town will ask you to avoid placing them in the ditches if possible as this leads to storm drain blockage. Piles should consist of leaves only—limbs, rocks and other items damage vacuum machines and equipment.